Application Engineer – Milwaukee, WI – B&R Industrial Automation – Milwaukee, WI
With more than 3,400 employees and 200 offices worldwide, B&R Industrial Automation Corporation is one of the largest and most successful companies in industrial automation. We offer first-class control, drive, industrial PC, and visualization solutions, continuing to set new standards within the automation industry.
B&R was founded in Eggelsberg, Austria in 1979 and rapidly became a global company. In 1987, the North American headquarters was founded in Roswell, GA, which is the epicenter for all North American B&R sales activities. In 2017, B&R Industrial Automation became part of ABB Group, further enabling B&R to continue its established trajectory of growth and success.
B&R and our Automation Partners are looking for a highly-qualified, motivated application engineer to join our team.
B&R offers an excellent opportunity to work for an international company with a great working environment. You will be part of a fun, dynamic team and work closely with our Austrian headquarters, partners, customers and B&R colleagues, as well as enjoy a mixture of travel and office time.
The Application Engineering team is comprised of automation engineers who assist customers in implementing new machines and automation using B&R technology. Application Engineers participate in pre-sales discussions, qualify customer applications, specify hardware configurations, document application requirements, develop automation application designs, program and test applications, and perform customer training.
In the role of application engineer you will implement automation applications under the supervision of experienced engineers. As you advance you will develop the necessary skills to begin designing concepts for new applications, supervising trainees, managing projects, and training of less experienced engineers. You will advance your engineering skills by working with an exciting variety of real-life applications and gain knowledge in the interdisciplinary fields of mechanical and electrical systems.
Then, you will be able to take all you have learned and provide our customers with state-of-the-art automation solutions. Your hands-on projects will include optimizing existing systems and integrating new solutions involving PLCs, industrial computers, process instrumentation, project management and other control devices. This position is responsible for materials specification, design, development, and commissioning customer-specific software solutions using PLC and HMI programming. You will also perform service calls on direct projects or other engineers’ projects as needed.
- Overall, the Application Engineer performs a variety of tasks related to addressing our customer’s application of the B&R automation platform:
- Review automation application needs and document requirements
- Estimate implementation effort to develop automation applications
- Create project plans
- Develop and document control application designs
- Program automation applications
- Develop formal test plans and scripts, then execute testing
- Troubleshoot and resolve application issues
- Track and report project status
- Travel to customer locations to resolve technical problems
Upon hire, you will attend a 12-week training program in our North American HQ in Atlanta. In this program, one of our experienced engineers will lead you through a university level automation curriculum that includes:
- B&R Product Training
- Controls programming
- Motion physics and motion control programming
- Motor training, induction, servo and stepper motors
- Fieldbus systems and controls communications
- PID control
- Programmable safety
- Control program debugging and troubleshooting
After an initial period of lecture, the course includes lab projects that reinforce topics and teach applications such as temperature control, pick and place, gearing, and sort operations. A graduation trip to B&R’s headquarters in Austria ends the course! There you can see our manufacturing operations and the latest automation technologies under development.
- Bachelor’s degree (BS) from four-year college or university in Computer Science (CS), Computer Engineering (CMPE), Electrical Engineering (EE) or Mechanical Engineering (ME) or other relevant STEM degrees
- Application development experience in a high-level language, preferred ‘C’
- Great interest in PC- and PLC-hardware applications, mechanical and electrical systems and physics
- Excellent communication skills and strong customer-service ethics
- Desire to work in an international team environment
- Creativity and ability to make decisions
- Travel is approximately 25%.
- This includes:
- Regional day trips to work with a customer on-site
- On rare occasion can include short notice service trips to end-user sites within the US (1-5 day duration, 1-2 per year)
- Travel can include training or internal meetings in Austria (~0.5-1/year)
- Interest and/or exposure in the following areas are preferred:
- Motion control systems
- IEC 61131-3 Programming languages (Primarily ladder diagram & structured text)
- ANSI C
- In depth knowledge of Windows operating systems
- Visual Basic 6.0, Visual Studio .NET, Python
- Real-time operating systems and programming in real-time environments
Medical, Dental, Vision, Short-term and Long-term Disability, Life and Accidental Death, 401K
Join the Automation Team!
If you think that you have what it takes to accept this great position, we want to talk to you!
Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
The application engineering position is a blend of Mechanical, Electrical and Software engineering. The best candidates highlight examples of projects or work experience showing cross-disciplinary skills.
In your cover letter, please include the following:
1. What most interests you about the position.
2. Any specific experience (including personal projects) with Robotics, PLCs or Micro Controllers.
Posted 15 days ago