Sales Engineer & Estimator – Mainspring Energy – Menlo Park, CA
Sales Engineer & Estimator
Driven by our vision of the affordable, reliable, net-zero carbon grid of the future, Mainspring has developed a new category of power generation — the linear generator — that delivers onsite, fuel-flexible power to help accelerate the transition to the future grid.
The unique combination of attributes offered by Mainspring’s linear generator enables applications on both the customer and utility sides of the meter for the $816B global electricity equipment market. We serve a wide range of Fortune 500 customers across markets and industries as well as top-tier utilities and other gridside providers.
We are looking to build relationships with people who share our values:
- Pragmatic Optimism. Building a new category of world-class power generation requires the optimism of ambition and creativity, balanced with practicality to solve problems efficiently. The challenges that arise are opportunities for growth.
- Excellence without Ego. We bring expertise and commitment to creating the best customer experience, from sales to deployment and service, just as we apply deep technical rigor to building and delivering world-class products. We strive for excellence and behave as leaders with the humility to acknowledge our challenges, both collectively and as individual contributors.
- Proactive Collaboration. The integration and cross-disciplinary nature of Mainspring’s business requires intentionally seeking out others who bring different skills, perspectives, and priorities. Our culture of inclusion and respect extends beyond our team to interactions with our partners and customers.
Mainspring is based in Menlo Park and is backed by top-tier venture and strategic investors such as Khosla Ventures, Bill Gates, American Electric Power, and Centrica Innovations. More information can be found at www.mainspringenergy.com.
A key enabler of Mainspring’s mission is the ability of its team to deliver solutions based on our linear generator technology that solve customer problems in the cross section of resiliency and clean power supply. This includes site due diligence, design engineering, permitting, construction operations, and commissioning.
As a Sales Engineer, you will:
- Travel to customer sites to perform site walks to determine site conditions and challenges for estimation and installation
- Interface with Applications and Design teams to create customer facing documentation to support the sales cycle (site/equipment layout diagrams, sales and estimating single line diagrams, etc.)
- Work with the Engineering/Applications teams to understand and communicate technical requirements both internally and externally as necessary
- Deliver the highest value solution to customers
- Provide an excellent customer experience
- Estimate multiple projects concurrently at sites nationwide, deliver these results to project stakeholders alongside supporting documentation
- Provide guidance on permitting and gas/electrical interconnection processes required across several municipalities and utilities
- Coordinate with internal resources, customer stakeholders, contractors, engineers, and authorities having jurisdiction
- Manage, meet, and progressively reduce cost targets
- Maintain records and databases to regularly report progress to customers and internal stakeholders
- Be a key contributor for customer interactions during sales cycle
- Collect market data and present to sales and business development leads
- Support customer proposals
- Over 5 years of experience with sales engineering and cost estimating (experience in distributed energy, solar, batteries, fuel cells, microgrids)
- Demonstrated ability to innovate and refine processes associated with cost and quality
- Ability to problem solve, think creatively, and timely resolve personnel and project related issues
- Excellent organization, documentation, and communication skills
- Demonstrated experience with and full understanding of the following:
- EPC construction practices
- Bill of Materials
- Electrical interconnection process/gas upgrade process with utilities
- Contract negotiation
- Contractor qualification
Posted 30+ days ago